Thursday 3 May 2012

"Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...."

Jason Johnson wrote a very insightful analysis comparing the two most popular comics franchises, Marvel and DC in today's edition of FiRST, the movie supplement in The New Paper.
Obviously, Stan Lee's creation came out tops and JJ put it across very succinctly.

I have to say, though, that growing up in the 70s, the superheroes I was most familiar with were the guys and gals from the Justice League aka Superfriends.  
"Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice..." was a favourite phrase which has remained till today, quoted in fun when I want to start a sentence with 'Meanwhile'...lol!

[But note that up till now, I have no idea who the creator(s) of the DC univers is(are), unlike the name Stan Lee, which is ingrained in public consciousness now, thanks to Disney's commitment to making great movies from his comics.]

Coming back to the Superfriends viz Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Robin, Aquaman....they never failed to fascinate me and the TV theme was classic:


I loved their individual powers, and was absolutely taken by Wonder Woman's invisible jet!  And the  fact was that the team always triumphed over the bad guys too...after all, isn't that the whole point of being a superhero??

I remember non-animated TV series based on Batman (laughable) and Wonder Woman (loved Lynda Carter...she was beautiful!) and of course, we had the amazing late Christopher Reeve whose Superman on the big screen was swoonworthy to the hilt!
His successors have not managed to have the same effect on me, sadly.

As for the Batman movie franchise, I actually liked Tim Burton and Michael Keaton's take on this hero but subsequent movies were not great. I mean, I love George Clooney but casting him as Batman was just wrong!
Thankfully, Christopher Nolan revived The Dark Knight with much better results!

Green Lantern...the less said, the better...poor Ryan Reynolds!
Even he (who was voted People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive) could not do anything to save that one. :(

Anyway, I hear there's a Wonder Woman remake soon and Henry Cavill (who was supposed to be the original Edward Cullen!) is doing the next Superman movie. And of course we can all look forward to The Dark Knight Rises, which promises much (and I'm all excited to see another fave actor of mine there...Tom Hardy!) and should deliver.


No comments:

Post a Comment