Saturday 12 May 2012

Fangirl's tribute to Mum

In my very first post in this blog, I gave thanks to my dear late mother for her understanding and tolerance of my fangirl behaviour from childhood. I often wonder if she had NOT been so whether things would have been different.
Curiously, television viewing was a very family-oriented activity back in the 70s, as there were only so few channels to watch and limited times of transmission, which were usually in the evenings after work and school. There was also only one TV set in the house so we would happily set ourselves in front of it to catch whatever was being telecast that night.
Contrast this with now when we have loads of channels on cable and I find that I hardly ever watch anything on the telly anymore with my family because there are so many other sources of entertainment and information.
My Mum enjoyed many of the same programs and books that I did and some notable shows which were book adaptations eventually led me to reading the books on which they were based..eg the Little House On The Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder which were fairly easy to read and detailed life in pioneering America.
There was also the wonderful British series All Creatures Great And Small, about the life of country vet James Herriot. It got me (and my Mum) reading his bestselling books about his experiences and escapades in the Yorkshire Dales with the Farnon brothers.
Haha...for awhile then, both the book and the TV show got me fascinated about being a vet...but obviously, that did not happen. :)
And yes, she loved Donny and Marie Osmond and Man In The Net as much as I did! :D

My Mum also loved to write, mostly to keep track of the activities going on in the family especially after she had retired and had loads of time on her hands. We still have all the diaries she faithfully kept and reading them (after her demise) jolted many of us as to the details of many milestones which she recorded.
As my nephew, her grandson commented: "If Facebook and blogging had existed in her time, Mama would have been THE champion!" :)

Suffice to say, I was very close to my mother as I was the only girl in the family and we had very few disagreements over the years.

She passed away peacefully last year at the ripe old age of 88 and I've dreamt of  her a couple of times since...nice dreams. :)

Here are two lovely Mother songs.
The first is Mother of Mine, from my younger days, sung by the cute Jimmy Osmond:



Lyrics:

 Mother of mine, you gave to me
All my life to do as I please
I owe everything I have to you
Mother, sweet mother of mine.
 

Mother of mine, when I was young
You showed me the right way things had to be done
Without your love where would I be?
Mother,sweet mother of mine

Mother you gave me happiness
much more than words can say
I pray the Lord that he may bless you every night and everyday

Mother of mine, now I am grown
And I can walk straight all on my own
I'd like to give you what you gave to me
Mother, sweet mother of mine. 


And the next is written by Jay Chou, who's renowned for his filial piety and love for his Mum, who nurtured his genius and talent from his early childhood. It's safe to say that without Mama Chou's efforts, we would not have the Jay we know and love today. :)
There are English subs...and do look out for the end for pics of Jay and his Mum....too cute!










No comments:

Post a Comment