Monday 18 June 2012

Birthday Celebrations: Fangirl Style





Just a few days ago, this fangirl celebrated the anniversary of her birth many moons ago.
And no, I'm not revealing anything here but those who do not know me but have read my earlier posts should be able to do a little elementary Math and have a rough idea of just how many candles should be on the bunch of Chinese birthday buns in that pic. ;)

In previous years, I would usually only take a day's leave on my actual birthday but last year, I could not even get that particular date due to manpower shortages at work.
So I was determined to make up for it this year by taking not just one, but THREE whole days off to indulge in my favourite things with some of my favourite people.

Sigh...as luck would have had it, I was destined to have a challenging time at work the very day before my leave started. It seems to be such a familiar pattern that sometimes I wonder if that's God's way of making me cherish my leave even more (like I don't already love it enough!). *grimace*
Anyway, what happened on that day had quite a profound and sobering effect on me, with the result that my celebrations over the next few days would be tinged with a little regret and remorse.
Nonetheless, as my friend V advised me:
"Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."
And I would reflect much to learn from the experience so as to grow from it as well.

Enough of the serious stuff!

Day One saw me having a nice lunch with two of my boys and hubby, a luxury to be enjoyed only because it is school holidays. And later that night, it was a night of karaoke-ing with three other like-minded girlfriends (C, A and L), singing only songs by Jay Chou and Mayday (fandom time!)

Day Two came and it was time for yet another lunch with two precious longtime friends (from Primary schooldays, no less!), MY and V at Swensen's, where I had been reliably informed that I could get a Firehouse Sundae, FOC, on account of my birthday!


Following which it was time to pay a visit to the Harry Potter exhibition, which had recently opened at the Art Science Museum, Marina Bay Sands (fandom time again!).
It was a nice trip down Potter Memory Lane for me and my family, as we relived the magic of the movies whilst wandering through the costumes, props and other memorabilia associated with this wonderful franchise. I may post separately about the exhibition.
Tempted I was to get a wand from the merchandise shop but decided against it eventually as my fandomania lay more in another direction currently.

Day Three dawned bright and sunny...thankfully, as I had a golf game lined up with three ladies, whom I had not had a chance to play with for more than a year. We used to play together occasionally more than a year ago but due to many reasons, we had not managed to keep up any regularity for the game, which is really quite time-consuming.
However, I do love golf...and will expand on this in another post some time soon.

It was then time for fandoming again that night, as I persuaded my dear hubby to accompany me to JCube to check out a Jay Chou-themed Disco Night at The Rink. :)
Check out the post here from my Jay blog:

http://jaychoudiaoness.blogspot.sg/2012/06/jay-disco-nite-at-rink.html

Needless to say, it was fun enjoying Jay's music whilst watching other people skating. :)

And on that very pleasant note, three days of birthday leave came to an end.
But the next two days were the weekend, which meant more time off to recharge before reporting back to work today.

Now I look forward to another day of leave in two weeks' time when I attend my eldest son's prize-giving ceremony at his former school!










No comments:

Post a Comment