Tuesday 12 June 2012

Bibliophile: Kinokuniya



One afternoon in my favourite bookstore which was having a 'Grand Summer Sale' and I happily came home with that stack of beautiful volumes, just waiting to be savoured, :)
To be honest, Singapore does not have summer, as it were.
But the important word there is 'Sale'....which accounts partly for the quantity purchased.

Anyway, I would like to pay tribute to Kinokuniya, a Japanese-owned chain which is my lunchtime haunt, especially when in the midst of a fandom frenzy.
I am indeed fortunate to work in the same building as the biggest outlet for Kino (as it's affectionately referred to by all and sundry) their stock is very up-to-date; staff are courteous, efficient and helpful; and the ambience is oh-so-conducive to browsing.

"A place where I almost always find what I want and what I did not know I wanted!"

That's my tagline for this satisfying bookstore and describes a situation which has occurred many times.
I'd walk in to pick up a book which I had reserved or had my mind on and end up walking out with another one or two magazines which just *happened* to be there.
And for a fangirl like me, Kinokuniya is HEAVEN!
I've lost count of the number of actors' biographies from their shelves which have ended up on mine eg Ewan McGregor, Johnny Depp, Michael J Fox, Robert Pattinson, to name a few.
They also brought in every Twilight/Potter-related books and mags there were and almost always at the same time as their releases in the US.

And although there are no English books about Jay Chou, Kino has a comprehensive Chinese section which stocks all the latest books and mags, which I can be sure to get not long after said books and mags have been mentioned on Facebook.
The Japanese section is probably even more comprehensive and I've seen Malay, French and German merchandise....truly a cosmopolitan bookstore!

I say unreservedly....Kino's stocks encompass all genres and subjects...a most amazing feat.
Borders used to be a worthy rival but somewhere along the line, that chain lost the plot and my loyalties soon lay firmly with Kino. :)

Ok...gotta go now....I've started sinking my teeth into that pile above...

No comments:

Post a Comment