Tuesday 9 April 2013

Saving General Yang: Handsomeness and Action Overload!

I'm not really a big fan of period Chinese movies, with the exception of certain Jet Li flicks and in fact, I can't even remember the last time I caught one on the big screen.

But when I first saw the trailer of Saving General Yang ( in English!) whilst catching another movie, my interest was piqued, not least because of Adam Cheng (whom I loved in The Book And The Sword) and the surfeit of masculine handsomeness in the seven brothers, whom the director, Ronny Yu had gathered from Hongkong, Taiwan and China, with strict criteria for their ability to attract female attention for his war movie, which might otherwise not interest the fairer sex much.
Well, Mr Yu....your strategy worked for this fangirl!
This is one of the most excellent Chinese movies I have watched in a long time!

On the other hand, I had never heard of this piece of Chinese history before, either...but that's not too surprising. *grimace*
And I did not read up about the story much so as to watch it with fresh eyes and mind.

So when the movie was released in Singapore last week, I wasted no time in getting my tickets on a Thursday night for the 9:20pm show for my hubby and myself.


Aren't they just the best looking bunch of Chinese warrior heroes ever??






Here are the trailers:

This one is in English. Probably to appeal to the non-Chinese audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZetLV7i6Fc

This one is in Chinese:





In a nutshell, the movie did not disappoint me...at all!
I was enthralled from start to finish, by the cinematography, the visually arresting sets, costumes, action sequences and of course....the seven 帅哥 (shuai ge aka handsome guys) AND Adam Cheng, who at 60ish, is still as dashing and charismatic as ever.

The battle scenes were simply EPIC, complete with some awesome horseriding from the guys (for which they had to take lessons and actually did some of their own stunts) but the one which really caught my fancy was Third Brother's face-off with his nemesis....I won't spoil things for those who have not watched this yet.
Suffice to say, he reminded me of another long-haired blond and beautiful hero with fancy bow-and-arrow skills.... *wink*

The music (by Kenji Kawai) was very good and in keeping with the epicness of the movie.

Here are two BTS vids:





And here is the cast on Kangxi Laile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPbysKxBWA&list=PLbHLPahX3mJ4Nbd6EA8B_QZ8VRq_GZHsJ&index=4


I missed seeing them in  Singapore....thank goodness for Razor TV!

http://video.xin.msn.com/watch/video/let-ekin-cheng-vic-zhou-and-wu-zun-tell-you-why-you-should-catch-saving-general/tn3hcnr0


And some good reads on Yahoo....Ronny and Raymond (the producer) are planning another movie with these dudes....but not a period piece; more like something along the lines of Ocean's Eleven...!!!!

They could look like this...*faints*




Or this...*faints again*





Omg....I can't wait for that!!!

http://www.dailychilli.com/happenings/20569-saving-general-yang-rebuffs-pretty-boy-vanity-project-

2 comments:

  1. haha you and i clearly have differing standards for swoonworthiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi rugs!

      One woman's meat...yadayadayada... ;)
      Fandom is fun!
      Long as we agree to disagree...amicably. :)

      Delete