Monday 16 July 2012

SHAPE Run 2012



In an earlier post about my renewed interest in running, I mentioned that I had signed up for the 10k SHAPE Run:

http://fandomizfun.blogspot.sg/2012/04/on-road-again.html

Well, I did it!!

After a few months of somewhat haphazard training, the day finally dawned for the actual run on 15 July.
Having done 10k before, I knew I would and could last the distance....just not that fast.
But timing has never been my goal for all these organised runs, anyway.
To me, it's more important that I have fun and run at my own pace fairly comfortably without cramping up or panting breathlessly.
I also love looking out for nice scenery to snap a photo of along the way to document the journey, so to speak and keep it in my memory better.
That's what I did for the Stanchart 21k a few years back. :)

The day before the Run was very wet and gloomy but I just felt it was a good thing as it almost always means the next day will bring fine weather.
I was also deliberating at one point whether to go ahead with the event as I had developed a mild sore throat and nasal congestion a few days ago.
However, as I had missed last year's Run due to a bad bout of sinusitis, I was determined not to miss this year's and made sure I took my meds and got a little more rest and fluids in before the 15th.

Thankfully, I felt much better by Saturday evening and had a nice peaceful night watching Secret with my niece.

It has been more than a year since I participated in a mass run like that.
I got up at 5am the next day and went through the familiar routine of pinning on the race bib, preparing my waistbelt where I would stuff a water bottle, small towel and of course,my glasses!
I'm helpless without them when I need to use my phone!
Walkman at the ready; cap and sunglasses too.

It was a nice feeling to join the hordes of ladies in the pink SHAPE teeshirt along Nicholl Highway, where the Start and Finish points would be.






The organisers also introduced the Male Pacers for this year's Run, presumably to make it more interesting for the ladies. I have ambivalent feelings about them. On the one hand, they were really cute, especially this group with their funny headgear:



But then again, this was an all-women's Run and perhaps some ladies would not be comfortable having the guys alongside them.
And if pacers were needed, why not female ones?
Anyway, I did not even see them during the route.

It was certainly a sight to behold as the sea of pink started moving off when the race was flagged off at about 7:08am!



I jogged along, slowly but surely, finding a comfortable pace, with my fave retro hits blasting in my ears.
There's just something about 1980s music which is extremely conducive to running....for me at least.
Probably 'cos 80s music brings back so much good memories for me.

http://fandomizfun.blogspot.sg/2012/07/retro-rocks.html


Well, I didn't just concentrate on the music...I made sure to be aware of my surroundings and took in the lovely scenery of the Kallang Riverside park, the Singapore skyline, the biomes at the newly-opened Gardens By The Bay.









It got hotter as the run went on but there were enough water stations along the way.
There were also clear-cut directions but no distance markers.
I was a little disappointed at the latter but then realised that I actually preferred it that way as without the markers, I would just run on and on without being too stressed about the distance I was covering or the timing. :)

I came in at about 1 hour 35 mins, which was expected, given my pace and that I frequently stopped to take photos. :)



All in, I thoroughly enjoyed myself during the Run and the good feeling enabled me to endure the snaking queue for the collection of the runner's kit after that.
I passed the time listening to music, eating my banana and drinking the water provided.
Glad I had cap and sunglasses with me!



I went home, satisfied and treated myself to an egg-and-onion prata for breakfast. :))




No comments:

Post a Comment