Tuesday 3 July 2012

All By Myself...

I just came home from watching The Amazing Spiderman on a Tuesday night (when tickets are cheapest!)...alone but not feeling at all lonely.

People are often surprised when I tell them that I enjoy going to the cinema on my own...well, to be fair, I have a couple of friends who agree with me but, the vast majority apparently do not and cannot fathom how this can be so.

I did not always feel like that, though.
When I was much younger, watching a movie was definitely a social activity to be shared with friends, eating popcorn and chattering excitedly pre and post show.

But I got my first taste of flying solo when I got caught up in the first Lord Of The Rings movie. The Fellowship Of The Ring. It was fantastic on first viewing, what with its amazing music, storyline, special effects and cast...especially Orlando Bloom's Legolas.
I walked out of the theatre with only one thought on my mind: "I gotta watch this again!"
And that was exactly what I did a few days later...by myself...albeit a little apprehensively at first, but I discovered, to my tremendous delight, what a liberating experience it was!
I could just immerse myself wholeheartedly in the movie, indulging all my senses.
And I also realised that I prefer not to eat during a show as that activity distracts me from following the movie properly.

Ever since then, I have had no qualms whatsoever about going it alone...but it has usually been when I wanted to re-watch to get more out of the movie.
This happened with the other two LOTR movies, all the Twilight movies and a few of the Potter ones.
Admittedly, I'm very used to doing things on my own, a habit from primary schooldays when I was content to eat my lunch whilst absorbed in a book as I had to stay back to wait for my mother after school.

I guess I'm just happy in my own company. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment