Wednesday 18 April 2012

Life is unpredictable...so LIVE!

I'm in a rather reflective mood tonight, after returning from the wake of a fine young man who had his life taken away in an instant yesterday, during a routine army training exercise. I had known him and his family for quite a few years but had only spoken to his mother sometime last year.
I found out about this extremely sad news early this morning and it hit really close to home for me as I have a son who will be enlisting for NS soon in May. My heart really sank when I read the report and saw his name.
I cannot imagine how terrible his parents and brother must be feeling at this time and can only pray that their faith in God will give them strength to move on, with help from supportive family and friends.

Later on in the day, I came across a commencement speech given by Adrian Tan, a prominent lawyer and author of The Teenage Textbook, which gave me more food for thought...viz

"Do not waste the vast majority of your life doing something you hate so that you can spend the small remainder sliver of your life in modest comfort. You may never reach that end anyway.
Resist the temptation to get a job. Instead, play. Find something you enjoy doing. Do it. Over and over again. You will become good at it for two reasons: you like it, and you do it often. Soon, that will have value in itself."

Thankfully, I do enjoy my 'job' but have found that fandom-ing takes me to a different place, a happy place. It may seem frivolous to many but I personally feel that having passion for something, anything is a good thing and one should never belittle another's whims and obsessions, but instead feel a spirit of kinship.
I have friends who wax lyrical over plants, bags, shoes, food, cars, bikes, insects....you name it.
And I learn so much more about life by appreciating their interests, especially on Facebook, when they share their stuff.

So what am I taking away from all this?

I'm happy that I finally got this blog together for one...I enjoy writing  and I love my fandoms.
It's been quite a thrill for me to see my words on the pages here (although I have to say I have had a fair bit of practice penning posts on another forum).
And maybe one day, I'll even write a book....!!
Life is unpredictable.
LIVE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment