Tuesday 13 November 2012

First Lady Of Musical Theatre: Elaine Paige


The headline in the Life section of The Straits Times caught my eye:

"Esplanade presents ELAINE PAIGE and Special Guest, Kris Phillips (费翔)"

The name that struck me, of course was Elaine Paige but who in the world was Kris Phillips?
A closer look at the inset picture and the Chinese name and I immediately recognised Fei Xiang, one of the most handsome Taiwanese-American singers from the 80s, with a voice to match his looks.
This was a must-go concert but strangely enough, none of my usual gang was keen and it was not until I read Susan''s post on Facebook, declaring her affection for Mr Fei, that I found my concert companion. :)

Walking towards the concert hall, we noticed a couple of parliamentary ministers and some local celebs from the theatre community.
Our seats were up in the Circles and my only regret was that I had forgotten to tote along my binoculars. :(

Nonetheless, there was no doubting the quality of the performance; Elaine is not known as the UK's First Lady Of Musicals for nothing and she brought the audience through songs from Evita, Sunset Boulevard, Jesus Christ Superstar, Chess and Cats, including a number of duets with Fei Xiang. (I'm sorry...I can't bring myself to call him Kris...)
The latter was also in fine form and received loud cheers and applause especially when he sang Andrew Lloyd Webber's Till I Hear You Sing, from the sequel to Phantom Of The Opera, Love Never Dies.
Elaine also got jazzy after the intermission, with some cool numbers featuring a saxophonist and she also paid tribute to Edith Piaf towards the end.


There was a fair bit of banter with the audience from both of them, with Fei Xiang explainng that he would take good care of Elaine and show her around Singapore and perhaps even try durian. ;)
Elaine, on her part, spoke a few lines in Mandarin, saying she was very happy to be in Singapore and even attempted an "Ok lah" at one point. ;))
One notable encore was the song, Grow Young, by Jimmy Webb.
It was the first time I was hearing this and the lyrics struck a chord, so to speak.
I'm reproducing it here to share:

Don't get so busy
Don't get so tired
Climbing the ladder
And counting each rung
Try not to worry
Too much to have fun
Don't get so old
You forget to grow young
Grow young
Grow young
And maybe this way
You'll be a child Again someday
Grow young
Grow young
And maybe this way You'll be a child Again someday
Don't get so caught up
In telephone wires
That you can't remember
The songs that you've sung
And feel sorry for things that
You've already done
Don't get so old
You forget to grow young
Grow young
Grow young
And maybe this way
You'll be a child
Again someday
Grow young
Grow young
And maybe this way
You'll be a child
Again someday someday

It was a wonderful performance from Elaine and Fei Xiang; one which the truly cosmopolitan audience lapped up.
Heh...I'm pretty certain many of them were there more for Fei Xiang so this was a win-win collaboration for both.
Elaine did mention that she had known him for many years from his time spent in musical theatre.

There was even an autograph session after the concert, which came as a pleasant surprise. As the queue appeared to be moving smoothly, I decided to join in later and got a photo and autograph with Elaine!
Pity there wasn't a session with Fei Xiang, though. :P

Tickets!!



Elaine walking to the autograph table; note the queue behind. 



My autographed flyer addressed to both me and my friend, Susan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment